Syllabus for Structural Design in Construction Engineering
Dimensionering av konstruktioner
- 10 credits
- Course code: 1TE443
- Education cycle: First cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Established: 2018-03-06
- Established by:
- Revised: 2023-01-31
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2023
Algebra and Vector Geometry. Calculus for Engineers. Participation in Construction Mechanics.
- Responsible department: Department of Materials Science and Engineering
After passing the course, the student must be able to:
- explain basic principles when choosing a calculation model and static system,
- explain the concepts of structural design in failure limit state and serviceability limit state according to current design standards,
- give an account of different building materials (steel, wood and concrete) and their properties related to structural design,
- independently design beams loaded in one plane,
- independently design centrally pressed columns,
- design for simultaneous normal force and moment,
- explain concepts and designations used in design of joints .
Dimensioning for three construction materials: steel, wood and concrete:
- Structural design and construction rules according to Euro codes,
- Loads on building structures according to Euro codes,
- Material properties of steel, wood and steel and frame stabilization,
- Design and anlysis of beams under plane bending,
- Design and anlysis of centrically compressed columns,
- Design and anlysis for simultaneous normal force and moment,
- Design rules and principles of joints.
Lectures and calculation exercises. Laboratory work. Homework assignments.
Written exam (4 credits). Assignments and presentation of laboratory work (6 credits).
If there are special reasons, the examiner may make exceptions to the specified examination method and allow an individual student to be examined in a different way. Special reasons can e.g. be notified of special pedagogical support from the university's coordinator for students with disabilities.
- Latest syllabus (applies from Autumn 2023, version 2)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2023, version 1)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2022)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2019)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Spring 2018)
Applies from: Autumn 2023
Some titles may be available electronically through the University library.
Tredje upplagan: Lund: Studentlitteratur, 
Byggkonstruktion : regel- och formelsamling
Tredje upplagan: Lund: Studentlitteratur,