Language skills

Most courses and programmes at Uppsala University require proficiency in Swedish and English.


In order to integrate into Swedish society, you need to know Swedish. The majority of the courses and programmes offered at Uppsala University are taught in Swedish. Documented knowledge of the Swedish language is needed if you want to study a course. However, for studies taught in English, knowledge of Swedish is not required. For PhD studies Swedish may be a prerequisite, but not always. 

Swedish for immigrants (SFI) is a course in the basics of the Swedish language (information in Swedish). It is intended for adults who do not have Swedish as their mother tongue. If you would like to study SFI, are between the ages of 16-20 and have not completed your upper secondary education, you should turn to Uppsala kommun.

At Komvux (information in Swedish), the adult education centre, it is possible to take upper secondary level courses, including courses in Swedish. Swedish courses taught at Komvux requires some basic knowledge in Swedish.

Uppsala University does not offer any beginner's courses in Swedish apart from those for exchange students. However, the university offers courses in Swedish which demand prior knowledge in Swedish and prepares students for university studies:

  • Qualifying Course in Swedish as a Foreign Language (Level 1)
  • Qualifying Course in Swedish as a Foreign Language (Level 2)
  • Qualifying Course in Swedish as a Foreign Language (Level 3)

Tisus test. If you are proficient in Swedish you can demonstrate your skills through a test called Tisus (Test i svenska för universitets- och högskolestudier). Having Tisus ensures that you meet the entry requirements for studying in Swedish at university. The test can be taken at various different universities in Sweden, including at Uppsala University, as well as in a number of areas outside of Sweden.


All first and second cycle courses and programmes require knowledge of English regardless of the language of instruction. It may be enough to demonstrate your English language proficiency with your upper secondary high school grades or university studies. You can also demonstrate that you meet the English requirements through an internationally recognised test: TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or Cambridge First Certificate.

Read more about the English language requirements.

If you lack skills in English, you can take a supplementary course at Komvux (information in Swedish).

Knowledge of English is required if you want to study at the doctoral level.

Last modified: 2022-05-17