Studying at university

All university programmes in Sweden are made up of courses. You can either follow a continuous programme for three years, for example, or you can build your degree by taking courses of your choosing. There is no age limit for studying at university.

All courses and programmes are divided into three distinct levels: first cycle (Bachelor's degree), second cycle (Master's degree) and third cycle (Doctoral degree). Each cycle is based on the former, which means that students must have completed a first cycle programme to move onto the second cycle, and a second cycle programme to move onto the third cycle. Often there is more applicants to a programme than there are places and then a selection must be made among the applicants.

University studies are counted in credits. 1.5 credits corresponds to one week of full-time studies. One semester is worth 30 credits.

If you are not a citizen of an European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you are required to pay fees to study in Sweden. If you are applying for a residence permit you can study at university whilst waiting for the decision. However, until you receive a residence permit you are required to pay fees.

Read more about programmes and courses at Uppsala University

Bachelor’s studies

Students in front of a book shelf

If you have completed a foreign secondary education and have a good knowledge of Swedish and English, you can apply for first cycle (Bachelor’s level) courses. An assessment of your grades is made at the same time that you apply to a course or programme. You do not need to apply for an assessment of your grades beforehand. Read more about foreign secondary education qualifications.

All courses and programmes at the Bachelor's level require knowledge of English. Knowledge of Swedish is required only for courses and programmes taught in Swedish.

Applications are made on

If you have not completed your upper secondary education, you should take a supplementary course at an adult education centre in order to meet the entry requirements of a higher education level course or programme. You cannot apply to study at the Bachelor's level until you meet the entry requirements. Read more about the adult education centre Komvux (information in Swedish).

Master’s studies

For second cycle (Master’s level) studies, you need to have a completed a Bachelor’s degree which corresponds to the three-year Swedish Bachelor’s degree. You must also demonstrate knowledge in Swedish and English. Many Master’s programmes are taught in English and require only English language skills.

Master’s level courses
Master’s programmes

Applications are made via

A student studying

PhD studies

Rolls of degree certificate

To begin a PhD you will need to have completed a Master’s degree. Knowledge in English is required, and in many cases, Swedish is required too. A PhD programme comprises of four years full-time study and concludes with a doctorate. However, after two years of studies students can graduate with a licentiate degree.

Applications and admission to a PhD are handled by the respective departments. Students should apply to an available doctoral position and they are employed during the length of the PhD studies.