Complete academic environments
Uppsala University is a research university where the combination of depth and breadth in multiple disciplinary domains can create strong environments for research and education. In many of these environments, world-class research is conducted.
- The latest research evaluation at Uppsala University (Quality and Renewal 2011) identified nearly 200 internationally leading environments and research groups. They advance the boundaries of our knowledge and offer new perspectives on issues ranging from our origins to our own time, nature and future. Together they lay the solid scholarly foundation that is an essential condition for research breakthroughs, innovations and preparedness for the unexpected.
- Education at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels (first, second and third cycles) is systematically integrated with the University’s research and external collaboration. The scholarly foundation of education, including programmes closely linked to practical application, is emphasised in decisions on educational profiles and research priorities. Students are given access to research infrastructure, and research staff participate in education at all levels.
- Attractive and functional campus environments facilitate cross-disciplinary encounters between researchers. The University has a conspicuous presence in its urban setting and is open to the world around it. This dimension will develop further in 2016–2020 with the construction of the Humanities Theatre, a unique arena for unbounded discourse. Nya Ångström will serve as a centre for the University’s focus on technology. The Segerstedt Building, which is currently being erected, will provide a new hub for management, support, student services and coordination. The Rudbeck Laboratory and the new ‘100 Building’ at Uppsala University Hospital bring together clinical and translational medicine with a special focus on cancer.
- Research is supported by well-qualified technical and administrative staff, who work closely with researchers in the pursuit of knowledge development. Special support functions act to strengthen researchers’ involvement in EU projects, external collaboration and internationalisation.
- UU Innovation vigorously supports the development of new products, methods and businesses. The innovation system and collaboration platform STUNS includes the successful business incubator Uppsala Innovation Centre.
- Uppsala University is developing its activities at Campus Gotland for the long term. The combined resources of Visby and Uppsala constitute leading academic environments in areas of expertise such as archaeology, conservation and art history, and in the area of sustainable development.