Academic leave of absence

If you need to make a break during your studies, you must apply for an academic leave of absence to have a guaranteed place on the program after the break.

Leave of absence is granted if you meet any of the special conditions stated in the Higher Education Ordinance. If you have other reasons than stated in the statues, your department decides if the leave of absence can be granted. A granted leave of absence gives you a guaranteed return to your studies. In the decision it is clear when to resume your studies.

If you are denied leave of absence, the decision may be appealed to the Higher Education Appeals Board (Överklagandenämnden för högskolan). The Uppsala University Registrar must receive the appeal within three weeks from the decision. State which decision you wish to appeal and its registration number. The appeal will be registered at Uppsala University and then sent to the Higher Education Appeals Board that will decide in the appeal. 

Apply for leave of absence

Study break

If you make an unannounced interruption of studies, without having applied for and been granted an academic leave of absence, you have no guaranteed place to resume your studies. As far as places admit, you can resume your studies. If you want to terminate your studies, you should report it to the department.