Is this programme right for you?
Meet a student on the programme
Name: Pablo Porragas Paseiro
From: Colorado, USA
The best thing about studying in Uppsala is that you get the genuine sense that the faculty and professors are invested in your success.
How did you choose your programme?
– During my undergraduate career in Boulder, Colorado I took a course titled Emerging Infectious Diseases. In this course, I was introduced to the many infectious diseases that still plague our modern societies; and more importantly, the work that scientists are doing in order to give people around the world a fighting chance against them. The same year I decided to do an exchange programme and study at Uppsala for one semester where I took the courses Bacteriology, Immunology, and Virology. I was hooked. Shortly after graduating from the University of Colorado, the COVID-19 pandemic changed many of our lives and solidified my desire to enter into this field of study.
What is it like to be an international student?
– Being an international student in Uppsala is a great experience. The city itself is filled with history and culture and is recognised throughout the world for its research capabilities. Moreover, it is very easy to make friends in Uppsala through the nations and through the many activities you can do in Uppsala and around Sweden.
What is the best thing about studying at Uppsala University?
– The best thing about studying in Uppsala is that you get the genuine sense that the faculty and professors are invested in your success. Whether you want to perform an independent project, learn more about a particular course, or have interesting points of discussion there is always someone that is willing to engage with you. This is a great environment to explore your scientific curiosities and make the most of your time here.
Do you remember your first impression of Uppsala? Please tell!
– My first impression of Uppsala was a very positive one. The sheer age of the university is something that is extremely impressive and it makes me proud to be part of its long history. Furthermore, the international environment is a great place to make friends from all over the world for a lifetime.
What is your reason for studying?
– My ultimate goal is to get a PhD within the field of Infection Biology and work with teams that aim to improve the livelihood of people throughout the world. In five years I hope to be influencing the way we approach problems in Infection Biology and global health whether it be through dedicated research or in industrial applications.
What is your favourite place in Uppsala?
– My favourite place in Uppsala are the cabins of Norreda Torp. Here you can get out into nature and experience what the Swedish camping tradition is like. I have made some of my favorite memories in Uppsala there.
Where is the best place to study?
– My favourite place to study is in the Värmlands nation library. The atmosphere is very warm and has a great view of the cathedral. Plus, you are right next to the best pub in Uppsala for when you need a study break with some friends!
- For programme-specific information, please contact the programme coordinator Susanne Tingsborg:
- For general information or questions about the Master´s Programmes at the Faculty of Medicine, please contact:
- Book an appointment with a study counsellor at the Faculty.
- For admissions-related or general information, please contact our applicant support team: