The Theatrum Œconomicum is located next to the Old Square on Östra Ågatan in Uppsala.
The oldest part of the building was raised in 1651. From the 1750’s and on, the University’s “Theatrum Oeconomico Mechanicum” – the Department of Economics – was housed in the building. The very first professor of economics at the University, Anders Berch, conducted his research here from 1741 and on.
The building was rebuilt in the 1940’s. After being severely damaged in a fire in 1990, an extensive renovation was carried out. Today, the Department of Government resides in the building.