Assistant Professor in Scientific Computing
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Information Technology has a leading position in research and all levels of higher education. Today the department has 280 employees, including 120 academic staff and 110 full-time PhD students. The Department comprises research and education in a spectrum of areas within Computer Science, Information Technology and Scientific Computing. More than 4000 students take one or several courses offered by the Department each year.
The position is hosted by the Division of Scientific Computing within the Department of Information Technology. As one of the world’s largest focused research environments in Scientific Computing the research and education has a unique breadth, with large activities in classical scientific computing areas such as mathematical modeling, development and analysis of algorithms, scientific software development and high-performance computing. The division is currently in an expansive phase in new emerging areas such as cloud and fog computing, data science, and artificial intelligence, where it plays key roles in several new strategic initiatives at the University.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. Teaching in scientific computing and programming at basic and advanced level, research in scientific computing.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD in scientific computing, numerical analysis, or computational mathematics or have the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, which will be given equal weight.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in scientific computing, for example numerical analysis, mathematical modeling for simulations and data analysis, studies and analysis of computational algorithms and computational models, and development of software and frameworks for computations and large scale data flows, for example for high performance computers and in cloud environments.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to pedagogical merits in scientific computing and scientific programming for students from different subject areas in science and technology.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary full-time position six years.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
For further information about the position please contact: Emanuel Rubensson, Head of Division, email@example.com or Elisabeth Larsson, Professor of Scientific Computing, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application by April 15, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/267.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Information Technology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/267
Last application date: 2021-04-15
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.