English Literature and the Canon: Tradition and Innovation
Reading list, Bachelor's level, 5EN160
A revised version of the reading list is available.
Main group 1
8-10 of the titles below will be selected by the teacher.
- Achebe, Chinua, Things fall apart, [New ed.], London, Penguin in association with Heinemann African Writers Series, 2001
- Austen, Jane, Northanger Abbey: authoritative texts, backgrounds, criticism, New York, W. W. Norton, c2004
- Empire writing: an anthology of colonial literature 1870-1918, Oxford, Oxford Univ. Press, 1998
- Carter, Angela, Wise children, [New ed.], London, Vintage, 1992
- Collins, Wilkie, The woman in white, London, Penguin, 1999
- Conrad, Joseph, Heart of darkness: authoritative text, backgrounds and contexts, criticism, 4. ed., New York ;a London, W.W. Norton, 2006
- Dickens, Charles; Bradbury, Nicola., Bleak House, London, Penguin, 2003
- Dixon, Ella Hepworth.; Farmer, Steve, The story of a modern woman
- Gray, Alasdair., Poor things: episodes from the early life of Archibald McCandless M. D. Scottish public health officer, [Paperback ed.], London, Bloomsbury, c1992, 2002
- Shakespeare, William; Hibbard, G. R., Hamlet
- Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft; Hindle, Maurice, Frankenstein: or the modern Prometheus, Rev. ed., London, Penguin, 2003
- Waters, Sarah, Fingersmith, New York, Virago, 2003
Selected literary criticism.