Computer Architecture I
Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1DT038
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Computer Science G1F, Technology G1F
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 26 May 2011
- Responsible department
- Department of Information Technology
Computer programming II or the equivalent.
The students should be able to give a thorough description of the structure and function of a computer in terms of parts like its control unit, I/O system, and memory system. The students should also be able to write elementary programs in assembly language.
The von Neumann architecture, RISC and CISC architectures. Assembly programming. Machine operations and instructions. Memory organisation, buses, I/O. Components of the CPU, the control unit.
Lectures and assignments.
The theoretical part covers 3 credits and is examined with exam. The practical part covers 2 credits and is examined with assignments.