Syllabus, Master's level, 3MG011
- Education cycle
- Second cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Medical Science A1N
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Finalised by
- The Master Programmes Board of the Faculty of Medicine, 20 August 2014
- Responsible department
- Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology
120 completed credits of university studies within the Natural Sciences, Medical, Biomedical or civil engineers programmes.
The course intends to provide a deeper knowledge of the human genome and the importance of genetic factors for the origin of disease and underlying molecular mechanisms.
After this course, the student should
* have a good understanding of molecular and cellular events at the origin, development and diagnostics of genetic diseases including cancer
* be able to analyse, process and formulate scientific questions within the field and to have an overview of current research in human genetics
* be able to describe current techniques used in research diagnostics and treatment.
The course will focus on genetic variation and the causes of genetic diseases in man. Current clinical diagnostics and possible treatments of genetic diseases will be discussed. The course will also provide an overview of the current genetic research. Theoretical sections and web-based exercises will show how to determine the molecular cause to a disease. Methods for genetic mapping of diseases, genotyping using microsatellites and SNP markers and analysis of genetic variation in populations will be described as well as multiple current techniques used for analysis of the gene structure and function. The application of DNA analysis in forensics will be illustrated. Ethical aspects will be discussed.
Lectures, seminars, web-based projects, theoretical and practical exercises. Participation in all activities during the course is mandatory. The course may be given in English.
Written exams during the course and at its conclusion. A passing grade for the entire course requires passing grades for seminar work, web-based projects, theoretical and practical exercises as well as the exams.
Grading System: VG Pass with distinction, G Pass, U Fail