Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1FA517
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Physics G1F
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 28 April 2014
- Responsible department
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
After a finished course the students should be able to describe and apply:
- The physical concepts work, heat, inner energy, temperature, observables, entropy and distributions.
- The empirical laws of thermodynamics.
- How to calculate macroscopic observables using the technique of thermodynamics and make comparisons with experimental data.
- How to use the Clausius-Clapeyron equation in calculations on changes of phase.
- How to analyse heat processes to e.g. calculate the efficiency of heat pumps and engines.
- How to make calculations on heat conduction and heat radiation in various geometries.
Matter and energy. Thermo metrics. Macroscopic observables. Classical kinetic theory of gases. The ideal gas law and other simple equations of state for gases and other physical systems. The Maxwellian distributions. The laws of thermodynamics. Thermodynamic variables and equations of state. Macroscopic and microscopic definitions of entropy. The thermodynamic potentials and Maxwells relations. Manipulation and integration of partial derivatives to calculate observables using an equation of state. Changes of phase. Heat processes including some technical applications. Heat conduction and radiation including the usage of Stefan-Boltzmann and Wien laws.
Lectures, tutoring, experimental projects in the laboratory. Laboratory exercises in project form.
Written exam (4 credits), project report and the oral presentation (1 credit). Oral examination for higher grades.
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2023
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2021
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2020
- Reading list valid from Spring 2020
- Reading list valid from Spring 2019
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2017
- Reading list valid from Spring 2016, version 2
- Reading list valid from Spring 2016, version 1
- Reading list valid from Spring 2014
- Reading list valid from Spring 2013
- Reading list valid from Spring 2012
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2009