Syllabus, Master's level, 1TE039
- Education cycle
- Second cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Quantum Technology A1N, Technology A1N
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 25 May 2015
- Responsible department
- Department of Electrical Engineering
After a completed course the student will be able to:
- describe physical phenomena and calculate physical quantities in semiconductor physics,
- overview quantum physical phenomena in semiconductor devices,
- explain the principles of today's semiconductor devices such as diodes and transistors in particular their I-V (current-voltage) and C-V (capacitance-voltage) characteristics,
- critically analyse scientific articles and literature on the subject.
Fixed and mobile charges and doping. Generation and recombination of charge carriers. The theory of current transport in semiconductors. PN junction and metal-semiconductor junction. MOS capacitor. MOS transistor. Bipolar transistor. The semiconductor manufacturing technology. Piezoelectricity, Peltier and Seebackeffekten, solar cells.
Lectures, tutorials and laboratory exercises.
Written exam at the end of the course (4 credits); Laboration (1 credit).