Reading in Academic Contexts for Students with Swedish as a Second Language or Swedish as a Foreign Language
Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 5NS244
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Finalised by
- The Department Board, 22 October 2019
- Responsible department
- Department of Scandinavian Languages
The course is a single subject course.
General entry requirements
The course is for students with other mother tongue than Swedish who wants to increase their skills in reading Swedish text and knowledge of how linguistic varieties function in different situations.
Upon completing the component, students will
- be able to read longer Swedish texts of different kinds
- show knowledge of stylistic, situational and other linguistic variation in written and spoken Swedish
- be able to make a basic stylistic analysis of a Swedish text
- be able to write an intelligible and reasonably correct Swedish as well as to demonstrate the ability to adapt the style considering the linguistic context and the text type
During the module about 1000 pages of original Swedish text are read, representing both fiction and non-fiction. The contents and language of the texts are treated in presentations, discussions and written assignments. The module also contains exercises in stylistic analysis.
The instruction is given in the form of lectures and group instruction. Compulsory parts occur.
Students who do not achieve a passing grade on the regular examination will have another opportunity to take the examination within a reasonable period of time after the regular examination. A student who has failed a test two times has by applying to the head of department possibility at one's own request to change examiner or examination format.
The course may not be included in a degree if equivalent parts have been studied within another course included in the degree.