Foundational Texts of Aesthetics
Syllabus, Master's level, 5ES101
- Education cycle
- Second cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Aesthetics A1N
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Finalised by
- The Department Board, 28 February 2022
- Responsible department
- Department of Philosophy
180 credits, or equivalent, including 60 credits in philosophy, aesthetics, musicology, literature or art history. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
At the completion of the course, students should be able to:
- demonstrate familiarity with key texts in philosophical aesthetics
- demonstrate a good grasp of the main theories and concepts discussed
- critically discuss those theories and concepts
- apply the theories and concepts to other questions or subjects
- articulate a systematic understanding of aesthetics as a field of study.
This course provides students with a foundational understanding of philosophical aesthetics through reading and discussion of key texts. The texts range from historical works to contemporary work, and cover a number of different theoretical approaches.
Instruction is provided through lectures and seminars. The language of instruction is English.
The course is assessed by written assignments.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the University's disability coordinator.