Syllabus, Master's level, 1DL610
- Education cycle
- Second cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Computer Science A1N, Technology A1N
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 18 October 2022
- Responsible department
- Department of Information Technology
120 credits including 15 credits in mathematics and 60 credits in computer science/engineering, including a second course in programming in an imperative language and object-oriented programming. Participation in Algorithms and Data Structures I. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- describe key techniques and standards in software testing,
- explain and evaluate strategies for software testing for both complete program life cycles and individual phases,
- specify and design test cases and test programs,
- produce appropriate documentation for test management, including test plans, test schedules and test progress monitoring,
- develop code using test driven development,
- be able to use suitable testing tools and discuss their range and capabilities.
Testing methodologies and their practical application in software development. Different aspects of testing: Black box testing where testing is done without knowledge of how the program is written; white box testing where the developer tries to guarantee that every statement, execution path and method is executed during the testing and finally unit testing which is a practical design methodology where test cases are developed as each function or method is written.
Lectures, laboratory exercises.
Written exam. Oral and written assessment of exercises.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
This course cannot be included in a degree together with Software testing and maintenance DV2 (1DL600), Testing Methodology (1DT053).