Syllabus for Sociology of Education, Project Assignment
Examensarbete i utbildningssociologi
A revised version of the syllabus is available.
- 30 credits
- Course code: 4UK006
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Sociology of Education A2E
Explanation of codes
The code indicates the education cycle and in-depth level of the course in relation to other courses within the same main field of study according to the requirements for general degrees:
- G1N: has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
- G1F: has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G1E: contains specially designed degree project for Higher Education Diploma
- G2F: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G2E: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements, contains degree project for Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- GXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- A1N: has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1F: has second-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (60 credits)
- A2E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- AXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Established: 2007-04-16
- Established by: The Faculty Board of Educational Sciences
- Revised: 2016-03-15
- Revised by: The Department Board
- Applies from: Spring 2016
45 credits at Master's level, including 22.5 credits in sociology of education. Courses in theory and method of 15 credits.
- Responsible department: Department of Education
Decisions and guidelines
The course is part of the Master's Programme in Educational Sciences and the Master's Programme in Sociology of Education.
After completion of the course students should be able to
- identify and formulate a research problem in Sociology of Education to a high degree independently
- independently collect, critically assess and treat extensive empirical data based on the formulated research questions
- independently delimit, design and carry out a study related to the research area of Sociology of Education
- present a study in the form of an independently written degree project
- defend one's own degree project and independently comment on another student's degree project at an examination seminar
The course provides students with advanced insights into research methods and investigation techniques within the social sciences and the humanities pertaining to Sociology of Education. The course also teaches students to use these methods and techniques in their own investigations/analyses.
The focus lies on
- Formulation of research problems and questions
- Choice of theory and methods
- In-depth studies of the current research area
- Empirical studies
- Degree project writing
The degree project is written independently under supervision. The instruction consists of seminars and supervision.
The degree project is presented written form. The student will be assessed at a final examination seminar during which the student will defend his/her degree project and comment on another student's degree project.
Reading list will be selected after consultation with the supervisor.
- Latest syllabus (applies from Autumn 2018)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Spring 2016)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2013)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Spring 2010)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2007)
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.