Freestanding courses abroad
As a student at Uppsala University, you have the opportunity to apply for freestanding courses or summer courses abroad through the network ENLIGHT. These courses are offered both in physical and virtual formats, or a combination of the two through what is called blended mobility. The courses can range from 3 credits to 10 credits and are a great option for those who want to acquire international experience from home or do not wish to spend an entire semester abroad
ENLIGHT is a European University alliance with the goal to create an open space for learning to gain access to the best courses and teaching offers in all disciplines across the ten ENLIGHT universities.
The ten partner universities within ENLIGHT:
- Universidad del País Vasco (Spain)
- Universiteit Gent (Belgium)
- Université de Bordeaux (France)
- Univerzita Komenského (Slovakia)
- University of Galway (Ireland)
- Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (Germany)
- Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (Netherlands)
- Tartu Ülikool (Estonia)
- Universität Bern (Switzerland)
- Uppsala universitet (Sweden)
To apply for freestanding courses you must meet the following requirements:
- It must be your intention to take your degree at Uppsala University.
- You must have 30 registered higher education credits at Uppsala University at the time of application. If you are currently on an academic leave of absence that is registered in Ladok, you will be granted an exemption. Attach the decision certificate to your application.
- You must be able to meet the eligibility requirements for the specific course you are applying for. The course requirements can be found in the course catalogue on ENLIGHT's website.
- If you are taking a freestanding course in a blended teaching format, you must be physically present at the partner university during the mandatory physical part of your blended mobility. Course dates are available in the course catalogue on ENLIGHT's website.
How many times can I apply?
There are no restrictions on how many times you can apply, but you can only apply for up to three courses per semester. Also, please note that you can only receive the Erasmus grant for studies or the Erasmus grant for blended mobility for a total of 12 months per study level.
Students with a residence permit
Students studying in Sweden on a residence permit should check with the Swedish Migration Agency that participation in exchange studies or traineeship outside Sweden does not affect their residence permit. Please refer to the Swedish Migration Agency's website.
Fee-paying students, who are enrolled in a full-time study programme at Uppsala University, are eligible to apply for freestanding courses abroad through ENLIGHT. If you include the course in your study programme (for example by taking 25 credits in Uppsala, and a 5 credit freestanding course through ENLIGHT), you pay tuition fee for 30 credits as usual. More information about what this means for you as a fee-paying student can be found in the application handbook.
As a student, you have the opportunity to take freestanding courses that are offered both during and between regular semesters. These courses are available in both physical and virtual formats, as well as in a blended format that combines both physical and virtual elements.
The courses can range from 3 credits to 10 credits. Within the selection of freestanding courses and summer courses, you will find interdisciplinary courses at both bachelor's and master's levels.
All freestanding courses and summer courses are provided within the framework of the ENLIGHT network. You can find the course catalogue on ENLIGHT's website. Each course has its own eligibility requirements. In the course catalogue, you will find the eligibility requirements for each course.
To explore the possibilities of transferring credits for a course, you need to contact your academic advisor or study coordinator before applying for the course. Learn more about transfer of credits.
Eventuella sommarkurser utlyses under vårterminens ansökningsomgång.
- You will find avaliable courses in the course catalogue on ENLIGHT's website.
- The application and other mandatory documentation are submitted electronically through the system MoveON.
The application is currently closed. The next application period opens 15 March 2024.
The application is open:
- 15 March–15 April for studies in the autumn semester
- 15 October–15 November for studies in the spring semester
Instructions to the application
Instructions for applying for freestanding courses through ENLIGHT are described in a handbook. It contains the instructions you need to complete your application, as well as information about what happens after you have been accepted to a course.
Erasmus grant for blended mobility
If you plan to take freestanding courses or summer courses in a blended teaching format, you can apply for the Erasmus grant for blended mobility. The grant can be applied for if you are admitted to a course or programme that combines physical mobility (for a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 30 days) with a mandatory virtual component either before, during, or after the physical mobility
Temporary changes and extra drop-in sessions
- Drop-in sessions are canceled on 28 March, 23 April, 9 May and 6 June 2024.
- Additional drop-in sessions, in conjunction with the closing of the application for exchange studies, have been scheduled on 13 May and 15 May 2024 at 13:00–14:00.
- For questions about exchange studies or freestanding courses through ENLIGHT: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about Erasmus traineeship grant, Erasmus grant for studies, Erasmus grant for blended mobility or the International Credit Mobility grant: email@example.com.
Drop-in: Consult an International Officer
Meet with our International Officers to discuss your inquiries regarding studies or traineeships abroad. You have the option to connect through Zoom or have an in-person meeting.
Kindly be aware that drop-in sessions will not be available on public holidays and during breaks such as Christmas, Easter, and summer vacations.