Sociology of Education, Methods
Reading list, Master's level, 4UK027
Main group 1
About 200 pages of examples from scientific investigations taken from earlier reading lists or other studies can be added by the course management.
The reading list for a 7.5-credit course comprises about 1000 pages, for a 15-credit course about 2000 pages.
- Passeron, Jean-Claude; Bourdieu, Pierre; Chamboredon, Jean-Claude, The Craft of Sociology: Epistemological Preliminaries, Berlin, De Gruyter, 1991Compulsory
- Boelaert, Julien; Ollion, Étienne, The Great Regression: Machine Learning, Econometrics, and the Future of Quantitative Social Sciences, Part of: Revue française de sociologie, vol. 59, no. 3, 2018, p. 475–506, ArticleCompulsory
- Bourdieu, Pierre; Wacquant, Loïc J. D., An invitation to reflexive sociology, Chicago, Univ. of Chicago Press, 1992Compulsory
- Bourdieu, Pierre; Accardo, Alain, The weight of the world: social suffering in contemporary society, Cambridge, UK, Polity Press, 1999Compulsory ("Understanding", 20 pages)
- Desrosières, Alain, The History of Statistics as a Genre: Styles of Writing and Social Uses, Part of: BMS: Bulletin of Sociological Methodology / Bulletin de Méthodologie Sociologique, vol. 119, no. 1, 2013, p. 8–23, ArticleCompulsory
- Lange, Matthew, Comparative-historical methods, 1st ed., Thousand Oaks, CA, SAGE Publications, 2013Compulsory
- Mills, C. Wright, The sociological imagination, Oxford [England], Oxford University Press, 2000Compulsory
- Good Research Practice, Swedish Research Council, 2017, Good Research PracticeCompulsory
- Wacquant, Loïs, Inside "the Zoon", Part of: The weight of the world: social suffering in contemporary society, Cambridge, UK, Polity Press, 1999, p. 140–167Compulsory