Sociology of Education, Methods
Syllabus, Master's level, 4UK027
- Education cycle
- Second cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Sociology of Education A1N
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Finalised by
- The Department Board, 20 June 2019
- Responsible department
- Department of Education
The course is part of the Master's Programme in Sociology of Education.
A Bachelor's degree including at least 90 credits from a discipline pertaining to the social sciences or the humanities.
Students should be able to construct a research object, design a scientific study and write a research plan.
After completion of the course students are expected to be able to
- analyse and evaluate how various methods and materials interact with research questions in scientific literature
- formulate research questions in relation to research traditions and the current state of research and apply appropriate methods to relevant empirical data
- relate educational research to scientific traditions
- write a research plan
The course is devoted to research design, formulation of research questions and construction of research objects as well theory of science. The course results in the writing of a research plan.
Lectures and seminars.
The assessment is based on written assignments.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the University's disability coordinator.
- Reading list valid from Spring 2023
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2019, version 2
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2019, version 1
- Reading list valid from Spring 2019, version 2
- Reading list valid from Spring 2019, version 1
- Reading list valid from Spring 2017
- Reading list valid from Spring 2016
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2010
- Reading list valid from Autumn 2008