Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1FA204
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Physics G2F
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 16 December 2013
- Responsible department
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
30 credits in mathematics and 40 credits in physics.
After the finished course the student is expected to
- account for the modern astronomical conception of the world and modern astronomical research
- understand and explain the mechanism behind certain astronomical phenomenon
- perform astrophysical calculations of fundamental character
Planetary systems - our own and others. Stellar brightnesses, colours, distances and masses. Spectral classification. The HR-diagram. The Sun. Energy production in stars. Stellar evolution. Stellar remnants. The interstellar medium. The Milky Way galaxy. Galaxies. Big Bang and the early universe.
Lectures and exercises.
Written examination at the end of the course, corresponding to 4 credits. Passed hand in exercises, corresponding to 1 credit.