Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1KB700
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Chemistry G2F, Physics G2F
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 13 November 2017
- Responsible department
- Department of Chemistry - Ångström
60 credits in chemistry including 1KB011 Quantum Mechanic, Chemical Bonding and Spectroscopy 10 credits or 1KB309 Physical Chemistry I 10 credits, or equivalent.
After completion of the course the students should be able to:
- discuss fundamental theoretical principles and models and solve conceptual problems in chemical reaction dynamics, electron- and energy transfer
- describe the basic principles of photophysics, photochemistry and lasers
- solve numerical problems related to the course content
- perform advanced laboratory experiments related to the course content, analyse and report the results and discuss them in context
Chemical reaction dynamics: collision theory, transition state theory, bimolecular diffusion-reaction models, potential energy surfaces, barriers and transitions, ultra-fast dynamics, electron and energy transfer. Excited states and basic photochemistry. Semiconductors and solar cells. Lasers in chemistry. Electronic circuits. Optical and electronic measurements. Sources and reduction of noise.
Lectures, problem solving classes, demonstrations and laboratory exercises.
Written (8 credits) at the end of the course. The laboratory course corresponds to 2 credits. The final grade comprises a weighed sum of the of the written examination and the laboratory course.