Wind Power Basics
Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1GV114
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Wind Power Project Management G1N
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (G)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 30 August 2018
- Responsible department
- Department of Earth Sciences
General entry requirements
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- find and evaluate information on wind power on the Internet
- describe the essential functions of a wind turbine's components
- estimate the power production of a wind turbine
- describe the economics related to wind power
- give a general account of the regulations concerning environmental impact and describe the environmental impact of wind power locally, nationally and globally
- describe the permit process briefly for a wind power project
This course provides basic knowledge on wind power, including wind power development, technology, wind energy and grid connection. In addition calculation methods for wind energy production and economic calculations, environmental impact, laws and regulations are studied. The gained knowledge is applied in a final project assignment where the student describes an existing or planned wind power project.
The course is given as a net-based course. Assignments are submitted in the e-classroom on Internet and the student will receive personal feedback by the teacher. The course also includes other mandatory exercises. A forum for discussion is available.
Written hand-in assignments, and participation in other type of exercises, 6 credits.
A written project assignment , 1.5 credits.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
The course cannot be included in the same degree as 1GV056, Wind Power Basics.