Considerations for Effective Physics Teaching
Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1FA516
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Physics G2F
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 21 October 2019
- Responsible department
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
60 credits including 40 credits in physics.
On completing the course. the student should be able to, in writing and orally, explain, discuss and give an account for
- the nature of physics in relation to the experience of learning physics
- how extensive learning difficulties are in fundamental physics
- how teachers may use research-based knowledge to improve the possibilities of learning physics
- how research has shown that students experience physics from an epistemological perspective
- the conceptual change and variation models of learning
- the influence of gender in the experience of learning physics
The course will examine the implications of different forms of physics teaching through discussions about
- the nature of physics as a branch of science
- contextual experiences of learning physics
- examples of research into students understanding of fundamental physics
- why physics is experienced as difficult
- how a genus perspective should be integrated into physics teaching
The course will be given in English and will consist of seminars. Before each seminar reading material will be handed out and these readings form the preparation for taking active participation in the seminar.
The examination will consist of two parts, partly a continual evaluation based on the students' participation during the seminars as well as written essays, and partly a written project at the end of the course. To pass the course both sections have to be completed satisfactorily.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.