Is this programme right for you?
What people say about the programme
Vivianne studies the Master Programme in Bioinformatics. How did she choose the programme, what is thaught in the programme and what is higher education like in Sweden?
Ask your questions about the programme
Agapi, student from Greece
Agapi is a student at the programme and will answer questions during november. Ask any question you might have and you'll get a reply by email.
Sofía, student from Mexico
Sofía is a student at the programme and will answer questions during november. Ask any question you might have and you'll get a reply by email.
Supraja, student from India
Supraja is a student at the programme and will answer questions during november. Ask any question you might have and you'll get a reply by email.
Meet a student on the programme
Name: Sofía Hernandez Valenzuela
I remember feeling so happy and blessed to be starting this chapter in my life …. I still do.
How did you choose your programme?
– I chose the master's in bioinformatics with a biology background based on my understanding of how bioinformatics is needed in all lines of research, how this is an exciting and fast-growing area, and my long-term career goals. After extensive research and discussions with mentors, I determined that this program aligned perfectly with my interests and aspirations.
What is it like to be an international student?
– Being an international student in Uppsala is an incredible experience. The city's multicultural environment allows you to interact with people from diverse backgrounds, which has been one of the most enriching aspects of my time here. Also, you get to compare how different or similar the academic system was in your home country.
Do you remember your first impression of Uppsala?
– I loved it!!! It truly felt like a fairy tale, Uppsala is a beautiful city. It was such a nice feeling standing in front of the buildings that I looked at in pictures (the university main building, church, river). It was way better to see it all in person. I did many trips to IKEA which to me was like a Disneyland. I remember feeling so happy and blessed to be starting this chapter in my life …. I still do.
Name three things you are doing this week!
– This week I’m going to my bioinformatic classes and labs, going to the library to study since this week I have my first exam and I´m also planning on going to Stockholm for the weekend.
What is your reason for studying and your ultimate goal?
– My reason for studying is to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue my dream career. My goal is to contribute to the field I'm passionate about, making a positive impact on society and advancing the boundaries of knowledge.
Three quick questions
What is your favourite place in Uppsala?
– My favorite so far in Uppsala is Carolina Rediviva, this is a beautiful cozy library which is always full of students.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
– In five years, I envision myself pursuing a Ph.D. in my chosen field, working on exciting projects that inspire me, and living in a beautiful city. Additionally, I see myself actively participating in conferences and congresses, continually expanding my knowledge and network.
Where is the best place to study?
– My favorite place to study is a library. I love visiting different libraries, admiring the beautiful architecture and getting hours of study.