Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1KB700
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Chemistry G2F, Physics G2F
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 12 March 2009
- Responsible department
- Department of Chemistry - Ångström
Quantum Mechanic, Chemical Bonding and Spectroscopy, 10 creditst, or equivalent.
After completion of the course the students should be able to:
- Describe fundamental theoretical principles and models in chemical reaction dynamics in the gas phase and in solutions.
- Perform calculations based on experimental data and models
- Describe fundamental photochemical and photophysical principles and reactions, and perform elementary calculations
- Describe the functional principles of solid and molecular solar cells, and perform elementary calculations on such systems
- Describe the function of basic electronic components and circuits, perform calculations on these, and connect electronic components to perform simple measurements and control functions in physical-chemical experiments
Chemical reaction dynamics: collision theory; activated complex; potential energy surfaces, barriers and transitions; reaction dynamics in solution; bimolecular diffusion-reaction models; electron and energy transfer; excited states and basic photochemistry; semiconductors and solar cells.
Lasers in chemistry; ultra-fast dynamics. Optics. Electronic circuits, applied physical measurements, sources of interference and noice.
Lectures, problem solving classes, demonstrations and laboratory exercises.
Written or/and oral examination (8 credits) at the end of the course. The laboratory course corresponds to 2 credits.