Students from outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees to study at university level in Sweden.
Students are liable to pay for each course in which they are registered. Fees cover application and tuition alone and are not related to accommodation, academic literature or the general cost of living.
A full-time study load at Uppsala University is 30 credits per semester. If you intend to take more than 30 credits you will be required to pay additional tuition. The fee is based on price per credit and thus varies depending on course and programme. If you fail a course you are registered on, you will not be reimbursed or able to use the fee for another course.
The application fee for all non-EU, EEA or Swiss students is 900 SEK.
Exemptions from application and tuition fees
Some international students will be exempt from paying student fees. For example, you are not required to pay application and tuition fees if:
- You are a Swedish citizen
- You are a citizen of a country within the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland
- You have a permanent Swedish residence permit
- You have a temporary Swedish residence permit that was granted on the basis of something other than studies
- You have had a temporary Swedish residence permit that was granted on the basis of something else than studies, and before it had expired you applied for prolongation or renewal. The exemption applies if you applied for the continued residence permit on the same basis as the previous, or with the support of any provision in the Act 2016:752, and the Swedish Migration Agency has not yet determined your case.
- You are a formal exchange student at Uppsala University.
- You are a PhD student and take courses as part of your research programme at Uppsala University. For courses at Master's or Bachelor's level that is not included as part of the PhD programme, application and tuition fees may apply. Read more about tuition fees for PhD students.
Detailed information about fee exemption can be found on www.universityadmissions.se.
Change of payment status
If a fee-paying student’s residency status changes during their studies (e.g. they are granted European citizenship), they must submit documentation to Uppsala University to certify the change. They may no longer be required to pay tuition to continue their studies, however in residency status after the commencement of studies will not warrant any form of retroactive compensation.
Reimbursement of fees
The application fee is an administrative fee and is non-refundable. To apply for reimbursement of tuition fee you must submit a written statement together with supporting documents. Only certified copies of documents will be accepted. Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The tuition fee will be reimbursed:
- for cancellation of studies caused by denial of a visa
- if you have been conditionally admitted and do not meet the entry requirements by enrolment day
Decisions regarding reimbursement for other reasons will be made by the University Director following consultation with the heads of the Division of Student Affairs and Academic Registry and the office of the relevant department. The reimbursement process normally takes around one month.
Uppsala University does not grant reimbursement for financial reasons.
Please be aware that a reimbursement is always made to the same account as the payment was originally made from. This applies regardless of whether you have paid from your own account or through another account holder.
Please note that special payment rules apply if the original payment has been made from an account in Iran. Read about repayment to Iran.
Are you a current student?
Contact the tuition fee coordinators
If you have any questions regarding tuition fees or how to make a payment, please send an email to: email@example.com or call:
Josefina Adolfsson, +46 18 471 75 76
Kristof Aerts, +46 18 471 19 26
Tomas Högberg, +46 18 471 19 30
Sofia Ling, +46 18 471 75 63
One of them is always available on the phone between 10:00 and 11:00, Monday to Friday. Otherwise, they will answer if they have time.