Health care in Sweden

Sweden's health and medical care generally hold to a high standard. All residents (or individuals with a personal identity number) are entitled to subsidised health and medical care, regardless of whether it is a visit to the doctor or a dentist. This means that a majority of the cost is covered by the Swedish state. Visit for more detailed information about Swedish health care.

A doctor’s visit in Sweden typically costs between 110 to 220 SEK, while a visit to a specialist or to the hospital's emergency clinics costs between 330 to 420 SEK. These costs are subsidised by the Swedish State.

You will have to pay the total cost if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number. This applies to emergency, necessary, and planned care. A visit to a general practitioner at a local healthcare centre can cost several thousand SEK. Therefore it is important that you have full insurance before coming to Sweden. Read about insurance below

It is crucial to have full insurance coverage when moving abroad. Students without a Swedish personal identity number should read about the health insurance coverage that is available to them. If you are an EU/EEA citizen we strongly recommend that you bring your European Health Insurance Card with you to Sweden.

Non-EU/EEA students who have paid tuition at Uppsala University are insured through the university. The insurance policy is called FAS+ and covers accidents, sickness, dental care, and emergency home transportation. More information about FAS+ can be found on the page "Insurance".

Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications are available at local pharmacies. Over-the-counter medicine can also be found at larger grocery stores near the cashiers. Pharmacies are open during normal shopping hours, although some may be closed on weekends. The pharmacy at the University hospital is open after hours.

If you use prescription medicine, make sure to look over your needs well in advance of travelling to Sweden. Some medicines may not be available in Sweden, although they have been prescribed to you in your home country. For example, stricter rules apply to medicinal products containing narcotic or doping substances. Note that the use of antibiotics is strictly monitored in Sweden.

If you will be in Sweden for less than 12 months and cannot obtain a Swedish identity number, we recommend that you bring any medication you use when you travel to Sweden.

You can read more about travelling with medicines on the Swedish Medical Products Agency's website.

Dental care is separated from other medical care in Sweden, and you pay a much higher proportion of your dental check-ups and treatments yourself.

If you are a student from a country in Scandinavia or the EU, or from Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you are entitled to emergency dental care at the same cost as those who are insured in Sweden, if you bring your European Health Insurance Card.

Non-EU/EEA students who have paid tuition at Uppsala University are insured through the university. The insurance policy is called FAS+ and covers dental care. For emergency dental care, compensation is limited to a maximum of 3,000 SEK per calendar year.

More about health insurance

If you have a long-term disability that affects your studies, you can get targeted study support during your time at Uppsala University. Support is planned in collaboration with you as a student, and you must apply well in advance.