Rules and guidelines
- Users of the Library’s services are obliged to show consideration for other visitors and comply with the rules that are given via notices or verbal instructions from the Library officials.
- Anyone disturbing the activities on the Library premises, not complying with the borrowing rules or otherwise misusing the Library’s information resources and services, may have the right to use the Library and to be present on its premises removed.
- Different rules for food and drink apply. See Our libraries.
- The libraries have spaces for silence, low conversation and normal conversation. Follow the instructions provided in the room.
- Service dogs on duty are allowed in all libraries. Other animals are not allowed.
You may take photographs of a lot of our materials on your own. However, you are responsible for how your photos are used and that no copyright is violated. Read more about Terms of publication. The Library offers high-quality digital images to use for study and publication.
What are you allowed to photograph?
When you photograph materials with your own camera or smartphone, specific rules are applied. You may photograph the following materials:
- Literature from the reference libraries
- Materials in the Microfilms Reading Room
- Materials for home loan or reading room loan, or on our open shelves
- Materials requested to the Special Collections Reading Room, without copyright restrictions or with permission from the copyright holder
- Other materials requested to the Special Collections Reading Room after consultation with staff only.
Rules for photographing
- Handle the materials with care. Photographing is only permitted if the materials are not damaged.
- You are always personally responsible for how your photos are used and that no copyright is violated.
- Photographing is only permitted if not disturbing other visitors. Flash light is not allowed.
- Photographing with stands are only permitted in a specially designated place.
- Different rules may apply to materials in the Special Collections Reading Room.
If you wish to reproduce materials from the Library´s collections, we recommend you use our professionally produced digital images. If the work is under copyright, you need written consent from the holder of the copyright. Uppsala University Library does not claim any copyrights.
The source information for all material published in print or electronically may be indicated as follows: The source information: Photographer: Name of photographer, the original belongs to Uppsala University Library, followed by shelfsign/shelfmark.
The priority of the University Library is always to provide a work and study environment for students and researchers.
We do our best to enable filming, photographing and sound recording to make the library collections available and to disseminate the University's research through, for example, filming or photographing at interviews with researchers.
The use of the University Library's premises for film/photography assignments is subject to available time. During certain parts of the year, for example during the summer, around public holidays or periods when there is high demand for library services, availability is limited.
- Filming on Uppsala University's premises requires permission.
- No filming or photographing in public areas or reading rooms during opening hours, since this may disturb students and researchers.
- We do not permit filming/photographing for commercial purposes.
- Filming or photographing in restricted areas must be accompanied by a member of staff, at all times.
- Large sections of library collections are protected by copyright. This means that it is not allowed to film or photograph and distribute material without the consent of the copyright holder. A written agreement with the copyright holder is required and must be provided by the person who wishes to film or photograph. Uppsala University Library is not responsible for the use of photographs and films.
- Library staff handles all material belonging to the Library and decides whether the material is in good enough condition to be used for filming and/or photographing.
- When publishing or in any other way disseminating the film/pictures, it must be stated that they show objects from Uppsala University Library or have been filmed on the Library's premises.
Requests for permission to film and/or photograph in the Uppsala University Library's premises must be sent at least two weeks in advance via a form.
Complete rules of conduct as well as rules for borrowing and using electronic resources can be found in Uppsala University's Goals and Rules Library. See Rules for using Uppsala University Library.