Degree Project D in Physics
Syllabus, Master's level, 1FA597
- Education cycle
- Second cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Physics A1E
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (G)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 26 March 2021
- Responsible department
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
A Bachelor's degree or the equivalent and at least 30 credits in physics at Master's level. Courses required for each particular degree work must also be finished. Admission requires a project plan accepted by the department. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- search, interpret and compile relevant scientific literature
- delimit a scientific problem, plan a scientific study, choose appropriate methods, carry out the study, interpret and evaluate the results and, if applicable, generate falsifiable a hypotheses to explain the observations
- present the results in correct language for different target groups both in scientific and in popular form
- show a deep knowledge within the chosen field of physics
An independent project is carried out, where the knowledge from earlier completed courses are applied. The project is guided by a supervisor in close connection to ongoing projects in research or development.
To achieve the objectives, the student shall
- under supervision delimit a scientific problem, investigate it, interpret and evaluate the results and present the project in oral and written form
- search, evaluate and compile information relevant for the chosen problem
- actively participate in seminars and other activities at the department or company where the project is carried out
The teaching is devised individually dependent on the direction of the project. Supervision is provided individually or in group.
To pass, a passed oral and written presentation of the degree project at a seminar is required. The written presentation should consist of a scientific report, a popular summary and a summary in English.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
No reading list found.