Syllabus, Master's level, 1TE039
- Education cycle
- Second cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Quantum Technology A1N, Technology A1N
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 20 October 2022
- Responsible department
- Department of Electrical Engineering
120 credits in science/engineering including Electronics I / Analogue Electronics and Quantum Physics/Quantum Physics F/Solid State Physics/Modern Physics. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
On completion of the course the student shall be able to:
- describe physical phenomena and calculate physical quantities in semiconductor physics,
- overview quantum physical phenomena in semiconductor devices,
- explain the principles of today's semiconductor devices such as diodes and transistors in particular their I-V (current-voltage) and C-V (capacitance-voltage) characteristics,
- critically analyse scientific articles and literature on the subject.
Fixed and mobile charges and doping. Generation and recombination of charge carriers. The theory of current transport in semiconductors. PN junction and metal-semiconductor junction. MOS capacitor. MOS transistor. The semiconductor manufacturing technology. Piezoelectricity, Peltier and Seebeck effect, solar cells.
Lectures, tutorials and laboratory exercises.
Written exam at the end of the course (4 credits); Laboratory excersises (1 credit).
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.