Syllabus, Bachelor's level, 1FA207
- Education cycle
- First cycle
- Main field(s) of study and in-depth level
- Physics G2F
- Grading system
- Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Finalised by
- The Faculty Board of Science and Technology, 15 March 2007
- Responsible department
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
30 ECTS credits of mathematics and 60 ECTS credits of physics.
After the finished course the student is expected to:
* account for the basics of celestial mechanics
* be able to perform detailed calculations of the two-body problem
* be able to explain the basics within perturbation theory and the N-body problem
* know how the modern scientific research of celestial mechanics is performed
The two- and N-body problem. Calculations of position coordinates from orbital elements. Calculations of orbital elements from observational data. Numerical calculations of orbits. Evolution of orbits for asteroids and comets. The Lagrangian planetary equations. Basic rocket science.
Lectures, exercises and laboratory exercises.
Partial exams throughout the course, corresponding to 3 credits. Passed laboratory exercises corresponding to 1 credit, and hand-in exercises corresponding to 1 credit.