Deferral of studies

If you are admitted to a programme and want to postpone the commencement of your studies, you can apply for deferral of studies. This means that you apply to begin your studies a later semester.

Reasons that entitle you to defer your studies

University policy only approves deferral based on extraordinary circumstances, such as medical reasons (illness), family crisis or compulsory military service. If you cite medical reasons, for example, you need to submit a doctor's certificate.

Not being able to afford tuition is not a valid reason for deferral. You can only be granted deferral if the first instalment of tuition has been paid to Uppsala University.

Other examples of reasons that are normally not accepted are difficulties finding accommodation, financial reasons or not being able to obtain a residence permit (or a pending application).

Application for deferral

Your application should explain your reasons for deferral and be supported by documents. Apply for deferral as soon as possible but wait until you have the documents you need so your application is complete from the start.

It is, however, possible to apply for deferral even after the start of the semester. If you are granted deferment after the application deadline for the coming semester, you will need to wait until next application round.

Apply for deferral of studies

Applications can also be made by sending a letter to the Admissions Office, Box 256, SE-751 05 Uppsala, Sweden.

If your application for deferral is granted

If you application is granted, please save the decision. The deferral decision is only valid if you make a new application at no later than the application deadline for the semester you wish to begin your studies. You also need to upload the deferral decision along with the new application.

Please note that the deferral decision is only valid if you apply for the same programme at the same university with the same study pace.

Need to extend your deferral?

It is not possible to extend an approved deferral. However, when you have sent in a new application for your studies/programme and been admitted, you can send in a new application for deferral with updated supporting documents.