What to do in a crisis, or if you fall ill

Acute emergencies

Call 112 when you experience an acute emergency that poses an immediate risk to health, life, or property. The number connects you to the police, the fire department, social emergency services, on-call priest, poison information, air rescue services and mountain rescue services.

If you fall ill

You can call the medical advice number (Sjukvårdsrådgivningen) 1177 for health care advice over the phone twenty-four hours a day, year-round. A nurse will answer your questions, determine the need for further care and recommend which, if any, health care agency you should visit.

Telephone: +46 771 11 77 00.

113 13 is Sweden's national telephone number for information in case of serious accident or crises. Call when you need information, or have information to give, about major accidents or crises such as storms, epidemics, a flood, or any major events in the community.

In the event of a serious incident at Uppsala University and/or when in need of a security officer due to difficult situations, call the University's emergency number.
Telephone: +46 18 471 25 00 (open 24 hours)

A serious incident can be one of the following:

  • Death
  • Burglary
  • Risk of serious personal injury or damage to the environment or property
  • Threats and/or violence
  • Accidents
  • Fire
  • Other events with the risk of serious impact

For acute psychiatric help, seek help at the emergency unit for adult psychiatry. The clinic is staffed by doctors and other health care personnel. If you are having an emergency but are unable to visit the emergency unit, call 112.

Acute psychiatric care unit in Visby (Link to Google maps)

Acute psychiatric care unit in Uppsala (Link to Google maps)

The Social Emergency Service offers help during evenings, nights and weekends when the Social Service Office is closed. Call for acute social problems such as domestic violence, addiction, or when you believe that someone is being mistreated.

Uppsala: +46 18 727 00 00

Visby: +46 498 26 91 45

Kvinnofridslinjen (Sweden's national women's helpline)

A national telephone helpline for women subjected to threats, violence, or sexual assault.
Telephone: +46 20-50 50 50 (open 24 hours)

Självmordslinjen (The suicide prevention line)

The suicide prevention line offers free counselling over the phone. If you have suicidal thoughts or if you are concerned about a friend you can call or chat anonymously. You can also send in questions via email.
Telephone: 901 01

Get vaccinated. The vaccination offers strong protection against serious illness and the spread of COVID-19. Vaccination is voluntary and free of charge.

Stay home and avoid close contact with others if you feel ill and have symptoms that could be due to COVID-19. Call telephone number 1177 if you need help assessing your symptoms or advice on where to seek medical care. You can also visit the website 1177.se.

If you are not vaccinated, you should be particularly careful.

On the Public Health Agency's website you will find current information about COVID‑19 and vaccination.

Illness and insurance

It is important that all students have full insurance coverage during their stay in Sweden. This insurance should cover students during school hours and in their free time.

If you are registered with Försäkringskassan and fall ill, you should contact Försäkringskassan the first day of your illness. In cases of extended illness (more than seven days) a certificate from your doctor might be required, please refer to information on Försäkringskassan's website.

Please also inform your department and speak to a study and career counsellor about how to make up for the time you have missed.

Student counselling

During the semesters you can contact the Student Health Service or the University Church for support. Both offer free and confidential service.

Book an emergency appointment with one of our psychologists or counsellors at the Student Health Service in Uppsala or in Visby. The Student Health Service are available for you if the crisis is related to the University or your studies.

The priests and deacons at the University Church help all students regardless of religious belief.

Crisis information aimed at doctoral students can be found on the intranet, the staff gateway.