Application for degree certificate

Degree diplomas and course certificates are documents that show that you fulfil the stipulations for a certain type of degree or course. The university where you studied the last course, which will be included in the degree, is the university that is supposed to issue the degree certificate.

  • Degrees and certificates are issued upon request.
  • The degree certificate is issued in Swedish and English. It includes a description of the degree in English, called a Diploma Supplement (see example of how a Diploma Supplement Pdf, 467 kB. can look like).
  • Degrees and certificates and the Diploma Supplement are free of charge.
  • When you apply for a degree, please make sure all courses, that are supposed to be included, are completed and registered in Ladok.
  • The date of issue of your degree is the date that processing is completed, not when you submit your application.

There are three levels of higher education and degrees awarded follow the same level of higher education.

How to apply for a degree

You should apply for a degree certificate in Ladok. Log in to Ladok for students if you have an active student account or Ladok for alumni if your student account is no longer active. As an employee, you can use your employment account to log in to Ladok.

Log in to Ladok

The application has a box where you can write information you might want to pass on to the Graduation Officer. The information you write on the application will be read as soon as the application is being processed which could be in two weeks time. Please email other kinds of messages to the graduation office.

How to receive the degree certificate

As of 1 January 2024, Uppsala University only issues digital degree certificates, no longer on paper. You download the certificate as a PDF file in Ladok.

Previously issued degree certificates on paper will not be replaced by a digital version.

Transfer of credits from another university

If you have studied at another university in Sweden, you can normally include these studies in a degree. In other cases, you may need to apply for transfer of credit.

You might need to show your original degree

Have you finished an Erasmus Mundus programme or a joint programme and have a Bachelor's degree awarded from a non-Swedish university? In that case, you must show your original Bachelor's degree certificate at the graduation office before you apply for your Master's degree. Book an appointment for showing the original by sending an email to

If you don’t have the original certificate you can contact the university that issued your Bachelor’s degree and ask them to verify it by sending an e-mail to They need to confirm that they have issued a Bachelor’s Degree to you, with the name of the degree and the date the degree it was issued.

How long does it take to get a certificate?

The processing time varies during the year depending on the number of applications received. Normal processing time is within 60 days but can often take less time. Some groups are prioritised, for example professional degrees with licence requirements. If your degree application entails a decision on transfer of credits, the processing time can be extended.

Verification of the degree certificate

The digital degree certificate consists of a PDF file with an e-stamp, ensuring the document is unaltered. If, for example, an employer has questions about the authenticity of the certificate, it can be verified by uploading the document on a verification site at Ladok. It is also possible to verify the e-stamp in Adobe.