Exchange studies via university-wide agreements
As a student at Uppsala University, you have the opportunity to take courses for one or two semesters at one of our partner universities. Since we have an exchange agreement, the are no tuition fees to be paid. The university-wide agreements at Uppsala University are available to all students, regardless of the department or faculty you are studying at.
To apply for exchange studies through Uppsala University's central agreements, you must meet the following requirements:
- It must be your intention to take your degree at Uppsala University.
- You must be registered for 30 higher education credits at Uppsala University at the time of application. If you are currently on an academic leave of absence that is registered in Ladok, you will be granted an exemption. Attach the decision certificate to your application.
- You must have attained at least 60 registered higher education credits at Uppsala University by the time of departure.
Study results are checked in February, June and September to ensure that you have completed first 30 credits and then 60 credits. If these requirements are not met, your exchange study offer may be withdrawn.
How many times can I apply?
You can be offered one or several exchanges during your study period, as long as the total length of your student exchange period does not exceed 12 months per study level. This means that you can be on an exchange for up to 12 months on Bachelor level and up to 12 months on Master level. We base our assessment of study level on your current studies at Uppsala University.
Students with a residence permit
Students studying in Sweden on a residence permit should check with the Swedish Migration Agency that participation in exchange studies or traineeship outside Sweden does not affect their residence permit. Please refer to the Swedish Migration Agency's website.
The Unit has exchange agreements with over 400 partner universities on all continents except Antarctica. Partner universities in Africa, Oceania and South America are generally open for application during spring. Partner universities in Asia, Europe, Middle East and North America are generally open for application during autumn. See which ones and read reports from previous exchange students on the page about our partner universities.
Different universities to apply to each application round
Not all partner universities may be applied to at every application round. Which universities will be available for application in each application round is published on the page about avaliable universities when the application opens.
The application for exchange studies is open twice per year, once during the spring semester and once during the autumn semester.
- 15 October–15 November 2023
- For exchange studies starting in autumn 2024.
- Primarily partner universities in Asia, Europe, Middle East and North America.
- The application closes at 15:00.
- 15 April–15 May 2024
- For exchange studies starting in spring 2025.
- Primarily partner universities in Africa, Oceania and South America.
- The application closes at 15:00.
Application for exchange studies
You can apply for exchange studies once per semester during approximately 30 days. The application and other mandatory documentation are submitted electronically through the system MoveON.
The application is currently closed. The next application period opens 15 April 2024.
Instructions for the exchange studies application are provided in the application manual. It contains the information necessary to complete the application.
Grants for exchange studies
All exchange studies at our partner universities are free from tuition fees. You also have the opportunity to receive financial aid from CSN. However, an exchange may entail additional costs such as transportation to the host country. Therefore, there are opportunities to receive grants for several of our partner universities.
Temporary changes and extra drop-in sessions
Extra drop-in sessions
- Friday 10 November 2023 at 13:00–14:00
- Wednesday 15 November 2023 at 13:00–14:00
- For questions about exchange studies or freestanding courses through ENLIGHT: email@example.com.
- For questions about Erasmus traineeship grant, Erasmus grant for studies, Erasmus grant for blended mobility or the International Credit Mobility grant: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drop-in: Consult an International Officer
Meet with our International Officers to discuss your inquiries regarding studies or traineeships abroad. You have the option to connect through Zoom or have an in-person meeting.
Kindly be aware that drop-in sessions will not be available on public holidays and during breaks such as Christmas, Easter, and summer vacations.